in Music Business
The 1-year Diploma in Music Business is designed for those who want a flexible and accelerated path to their career in Music Business, and for those that may already have some industry experience and are looking to upskill or change career.
The timetable is created to cater for applicants who work around their studies.
Our Diploma is skills-oriented and will prepare you for a practical job at the end of the course. Should you wish to continue your studies after successfully completing the Diploma, a bridging module will enable you to start in Year 2 of the accelerated 2-year Degree programme through the process of accreditation of experiential learning (APEL).
*Please note that international students (including EU) are unable to join an SAE Diploma due to current visa restrictions
(All campuses, except Oxford)
1-2 sessions per week
18 and over
Who should attend
If you’re a professional who is already working in the music industry but you want to hone your craft or learn a new skill set then this is the course for you.
You should bring a notebook and pen to classes. You may also wish to bring your own laptop or tablet.
- Artist Manager
- Music Company and Distribution
- Music Publishing/Sync
- Booking Agent
- Promoter/Artist Booker
- Marketing and Digital Content
- Tour Management
FOLLOW UP COURSESBA/BSc (Hons) Music Business
Got a question?
Email our recruitment teamAsk a question
"The U.K. and wider global media and music industries are in rude health presently. There are more TV programmes being produced than ever before, and now with both new and more established broadcasters competing for content, there has never been a better opportunity for a new generation of media specialists to break through. Things may seem uncertain due to COVID19, but I firmly believe that after things settle down, the timing couldn’t be better for graduates to enter any one of the various facets of our creative industry as their degree comes to an end."
Music Publishing Manager, BBC Studios
Please fill out this form to apply for our Diploma in Music Business. Once you submit the form we will be in touch to confirm your booking and process payment. If you want to call us on
03330 112 315 we can give you more information.
MBS4101 Industry Overview
MBS4300 Profiling and Content Management
MBS4400 Marketing, Business Planning and Law
MBS5100 Enterprise 1
CMN5201 Creative Production
To begin to develop an awareness of the music industry, you will look at the key areas, such as the traditional and new models of record companies, music publishing, live performance and the various aspects of artist management. You will analyse how the industry has evolved and the trends and procedures that exist today. We also provide you with a broad overview of the industry’s institutions and their impact on each other and the wider sector, as well as advising you of regulations and systems of revenue collection.
Indicative List of Topics
- Social, political and economic context
- History of music
- Aesthetics of music genres
- Historical perspective
- Industry overview
- Industry intermediaries
- Money flows and collecting agencies
- Contemporary issues and future perspective
- Genre and Music Industry Analysis
- Industry Relations Presentation
On completion of the module the student will be able to:
- Outline the infrastructure of the industry
- Identify key players in the industry and illustrate its value chain
- Illustrate systems for revenue collection and income flow
- Articulate historical development of music and its value to the entertainment industries
- Illustrate the interplay between different industry players
- Employ appropriate use of industry terminology
- Identify aesthetic elements of a music genre/scene, by aural analysis
- Summarise the regulatory systems of the industry