Designed by industry for industry, this course covers all facets of the fast-paced sector. You will learn how deals are made, how an artist is promoted and marketed and how you can do this for yourself.
- Record Label Owner
- Industry Professional
- Band Manager
- Artist Manager
- Stage Manager
- Next class starts in May 2020
- Registrations are open. Limited spots available.
In the Music Business Certificate, you will develop the industry knowledge and entrepreneurial skills required to pursue a career in the music business. The course is managed and taught by industry professionals and practitioners with years of experience, across the key areas of the music industry.
Don't miss our new OPEN DAY | Saturday, March 7th
Find out more and sign-up here
The course is ideal for musicians and artists, social media managers and marketeers, lawyers, journalists, music producers, creative media producers and music lovers that want to get involved in professional and artistic projects.
We are offering a beginners course option (Basic - 4 months) for people with zero or basic knowledge on the music industry and an advanced level course (4 months) for experienced professionals or graduates of the Βasic level that wish to develop further their professional profile with real music business practical projects.
What You'll Learn
The course covers core aspects of the contemporary music industry ranging from music management and promotion to music copyrights and synchronisation, tour management, music publishing, music contracts, music data and more.
With close links to the industry, you'll also benefit from guest lecturers (such as managers and record label executives), seminars & workshops and will have the opportunity to take part in real life music business cases with industry partners .
- Ewout Van Der Linden
- After graduating from Erasmus University, Ewout van der Linden probably had the weirdest career in music. Starting as a publisher in classical music, then becoming a promoter of jazz and pop concerts, then becoming the statistics man for Music Centre of The Netherlands. At this moment Ewout is using his vast knowledge about all sides and genres of the music business at Rotterdam Conservatory Codarts and SAE Institute as an instructor and coordinator, making sure all students know what’s going on in this fast moving business. His main focus of research is monetisation and marketing in music and entertainment. Ewout is the owner of Music Motion and he organises "Music Pitch" network meetings and music business workshops.
- Bindu de Knock
- Bindu specialises in intellectual property law, including copyright law, trademark law, design law, trade name law, slavish imitation and misleading and comparative advertising. Bindu studied law at Leiden University and wrote her Master’s thesis on the adjudication of music infringement cases in the Netherlands and the United States. Early on in her career, she worked as a trainee attorney in the IP section at NautaDutilh, Amsterdam, in the course of which she also completed the Law Firm School’s professional training. She subsequently continued her career at niche IP firms in Amsterdam.
- Collin Kock
- Collin Kock is one of the legal experts lecturers inside the Music Business Certificates. Colling has his own firm [KockConsult] in Nijmegen, which is specialized in giving legal aid, advice and guidance to small to medium size companies, as well as to starting entrepreneurs. His knowledge and expertise gives our students a great insight into the contractual matters of working inside any business and/or running their own label/agency/company.
- Guest Lecturers
- Guest appearances by music business professionals like Steph Perrin (Synching at Cloud Nine), Odette Bosman (Platform Artist Agency), Chantal Musquetier (PR at C.Inc), Jelle de Ruiter (music data specialist), Rodney Kolf (R3hab) and more. Guest appearances are, however, subject to change upon availability of the guest lecturer.
Music Business Basic - Duration: 4 months
- Introduction to the Music Business
- Trends in the Music Business
- Practical Law
- Copyright Societes
- Trends in the Music Business (part 2)
- Artist Management
- Tour Management
- The D.I.Y. Artist in the Music Industry
- How to Pitch yourself / Marketing in the Music Business
- PR for music / Marketing in the Music Business
- Marketing in the Music Business
Music Business Advanced - Duration: 4 months
Monetizing music data
Music data are changing the music business and are increasingly important for career strategy and artist promotion. What data can musicians use? How can they use it for their careers? How can you use data for labels, bookings, etc?
Capitalizing on music talent
Artist management means capitalizing on talent. In these live-music times, it is highly linked to tour management. But we will also focus on innovative ways of capitalizing talent, like music synching (to e.g. films or commercials), VR, holograms, games, multichannel events.
The right deals with the right partners
New business models for music demand smart new deals. Sometimes with new partners. What’s the right deal for the right music? Who are tomorrows relevant partners?
Real-life music business cases
What are the day to day challenges a music company faces? What IP, contract, marketing, international issues have to be dealt with? How to use music data? What is the new business for music? Students start working in groups on real-life music cases and present their findings for music businesses that are partnering with this course. Partners are booking agents, labels, publishers, management companies.
- Entry Requirements
- Minimum age of 16 years
- Basic English language skills
- For non-EU students, a valid VISA for the entire duration of the selected course is required prior to enrolment. The registration at SAE Institute cannot grant you a Student Visa in the Netherlands.
Note: To enter Music Business Advanced, you will have to graduate first the Music Business Basic level. If you are an experienced professional with industry knowledge wishing to attend directly the advanced level, then an interview with the Course Coordinator will be required first.
More information about the Admissions are available here.
- Fees & Funding
FILL IN THE FORM AND GET YOUR INFORMATION PACK
COURSE CONTENT & SCHEDULE / PRICES & PAYMENT PLANS / APPLICATION PROCEDURE
- Record Label Owner
- Band/Artist Manager
- PR Director
- Music Journalist
- Booking Agent
- Royalty Analyst
- Digital Strategist
- Social Content Editor
- Tour Promoter
- Touring Manager
- Event Manager
- A&R Manager