Start your BA/BSc Digital Film Production and open the door to a world of opportunity.
- Film Director
- Camera Operator
Start creating you own videos!
- Next Start Date: September 2021
- Registrations are open and limited spots are available.
SHOOT, EDIT, CREATE YOUR VIDEOS
The popularity of Video is constantly rising and nowadays it is considered as the most engaging type of content. With the Video Production Certificate you will learn how to make your own videos, working in the entire production chain., from pre-production to shooting, sound recording, post-production and final exports for web videos and short documentaries. Learning these techniques and skills, will allow you to become a video storyteller and content creator.
This four-month course is ideal for professionals coming from creative fields (like photography, music, graphics & visual design etc.) and from communication (journalists, social media managers, marketeers, content creators, bloggers etc.), for amateurs and hobbyists that want to to make a first step in video production and be creative using basic equipment.
Video Production course is offered part-time with one lesson day per week (2 lessons on a single lesson day). The course runs for 16 weeks. Besides the classes, students will complete a series of practical exercises and assignments as part of the course. The school facilities and gear are available for students to be used during delivery and there is always a tutor available for advice and practical help. This course has an average studyload of 6 to 8 hours per week (including theory).
Note: Online delivery, for theoretical elements, could be in place for May 2021
See more about Studying at SAE Institute Amsterdam.
- Patrick Thompson
- Patrick Thompson, currently residing in Rotterdam, has been working in the audiovisual and entertainment industry for the past 15 years. He has extensive experience as a producer on award-winning shorts and documentaries. His most recent production, an experimental film titled MIST, directed by Parisa Yousef Doust, had its world premiere at the 2013 International Film Festival Rotterdam. Since 2012, Patrick Thompson has been focusing on the creative side of filmmaking as a writer, director, editor and has been commissioned to do a short film slated to go into production during the last half of 2013. Patrick Thompson has also worked on game development, organized photo exhibitions, presided over an art installation, and has been an avid photographer: for which he was requested to be part of a collective and make photos for the multi-discipline art project Milk Drops by visual artist Nelson Gonzalez.
- Iñigo Viu Huguet
- Iñigo was borned in Barcelona and moved to Amsterdam in 2009. During his studies at SAE, he focused in the production and postporduction of audiovisual projects and quickly started working as cameraman, photographer, sound and video editor for companies like Redstone Productions, Hal5studio and Genelec. He also worked streaming and recording events for ADE and ComicCon Netherlands. After a few years, he joined SAE Amsterdam as a supervisor and lecturer for the film department where he will continue his path of sharing and teaching the same knowledge that awoke his passion for the audio visual industry.
- Joao Costa
- Joao Mb Costa moved to Amsterdam in 2002, what was initially planned as a 6 months stay to help out a friend with a new IT project became a 15-year life-changing project. In 2006 he was told by a friend about an open day at a very cool media school called SAE Institute, despite never hearing of it before he decided to check it out and was right away amazed by the friendly atmosphere and having the movie bug in him since young ages he decided to give a go at the film production course, at the time "as a weekend hobby", little did he know that SAE would change his professional and personal life at unexpected levels. Ever since his graduation in 2007 Joao has been gathering experience and working with clients as varied as Netflix, Heineken, Google, Guess Jeans, L'Oreal, Paradiso, or Volkshotel but still finds time to share his passion and experience at the film department of SAE Institute Amsterdam, a perfect balance for a busy life.
- Camera Techniques
- Sound Recording
- Scenario writing
- Framing Your Shot
- Post Production workflow
- Video editing
- Color Grading
- Key Framing
- Video Effects
Cameras: JVC ProHD / Canon 5D / Canon 6D / Panasonic DVX-200
Post-Production: DaVinci Resolve
The Art of Storytelling
Writing for the screen is a very specific creative writing skill and one that requires a thorough understanding of how visuals storytelling operates. This module asks you to explore a number of established and experimental processes used in script development to further boost your understanding of narrative and cinematic construction. Working with the completed script, you will learn the skills to develop your own personal development portfolio and bring your visual styles to life on the page, ready for the screen.
Filmmaking Fundamentals 2
Building upon your knowledge base so far, you will now put your imagination and skills to good use in the creation of a self-directed short film, facilitating your script writing and developing your individual style. Through a comprehensive application of theories and techniques, you will explore further the fundamental processes of filmmaking, specifically in production and post-production techniques.
Producing non-fictional works requires a critical understanding of the complex historic and contemporary societal, economic and political influences affecting the genre to fully appreciate the power of the medium. You will learn the importance of employing sound ethical working practices to strike a power balance between the contributor, filmmaker and audience, in order to plan the produce your own, short non-fiction film.
You are given the opportunity to choose an elective from a bank of modules. Each campus can advise which of the electives may be available to you and provide further advice to assist you in selecting an option that is reflective of your specialization interest. The detail of each module can be found on our website.
- Creative Production
- Short Promotional Film
Producing and Distribution Methods
For this module, you will assume the role and many varied obligations of 'producer', often seen ambiguous, largely due to the variety and complexities of tasks involved throughout the entirety of a film's production through to distribution. We will prepare you with the finite details required to perform the breadth of tasks, whilst further developing your pre-existing skills in post-production techniques to refine your individual style. We will then show you the essential process of elimination to determine which method of either classical or contemporary distribution across creative media would be most effective for your creation.
Marketing, Business Planning and Law
This module aims to impart the essential knowledge, concepts, and analytical tools of business and marketing to function effectively in the industry. It will also open your eyes to key legal and ethical issues that underpin practices specifically related to the creative media industries. Upon completion of this module, you will have developed key communication skills, whilst being sensitive to the impact of how communication can shape how we, as a society, understand each other in social, cultural and economic contexts.
Research Practice and Society
Research is key to the successful outcome of any creative project and this module aims to develop within you an advanced critical understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and their application for both artistic and scientific research. You will advance your knowledge, planning, and implementation of research-based inquiry to address specific questions, whilst developing an in-depth understanding of the creative media industries and your potential role as a creative media practitioner. Together we will broaden your understanding of the ongoing interplay between science and the history of ideas, culture and creative media, to give your work the depth it requires to have a profound effect in the market-place.
Major Project (BA or BSc)
Your major project is intended to demonstrate a range of advanced skills in accordance with the requirements of a substantial level six project. Through successful completion, you will also exhibit your capacity to conduct independent projects and manage a large-scale venture. Central to the module is an exploration of research methodologies and their applications or their own artistic style and its presentation to the public. You will develop a project proposal and submit this for approval. You will then manage all aspects involved in the preliminary and planning phases, through to realization. Your major project is self-generated and may take one of many forms, there is, however, an expectation that the final deliverable will be of a caliber that will progress you into employment or postgraduate work.
- Entry Requirements
- Minimum age of 16 years
- For non-EU students, a valid VISA for the entire duration of the selected course is required prior to enrolment. The registration at SAE Institute cannot grant you a Student Visa in the Netherlands.
- The course is taught in English and English intermediate level skills are required
More information about the Admissions are available here.
- Fees & Funding
FILL IN THE FORM AND GET YOUR INFORMATION PACK
COURSE CONTENT & SCHEDULE / PRICES & PAYMENT PLANS / REGISTRATION FORM
Note: For non-EU students, a valid VISA for the entire duration of the selected course is required prior to enrolment. The registration at SAE Institute cannot grant you a Student Visa in the Netherlands.
As video is a great storyteller and a very popular and powerful commnunication medium, its use is now relevant across almost types of working fields. Acquiring the skill of video production can allow you to work as an independent professional or to evolve your services within an organisation or team.
Indicative types of professional specialties you may develop:
- Videographer: Promo Videos - Event Coverage - Mini Docs
- Social Media Content Creator