Develop your skills for a career in today’s music industry
- Event Management
- Artist Management
- Music Distibution
Develop your skills for a career in today’s music industry
Beim Professional Media Creation (M.A.) handelt es sich um einen konsekutiven Studiengang für Bachelor Absolventen aus künstlerischen und aus künstlerisch-technischen Fachbereichen.
Ein Studiengang der Folkwang Universität der Künste in Kooperation mit dem SAE Institute
Learn from industry thought-leaders, collaborate with your peers, extend your network through our global reach and solidify your own reputation within the creative media industry.
Whether you’ve worked within the creative industries for years, or are seeking to to pursue greater career prospects. MA/MSc Professional Practice (Creative Media Industries) course is the next step to defining your creative niche.
With a focus on entrepreneurship this programme has been developed to encompass innovative business models for a digital age and provide you with the knowledge and skills in key aspects of the business of music, where the mantra ‘change equals opportunity’ holds true.
The course covers core aspects of the music industry ranging from cultural and historical perspectives, analysis and forecasting, legal frameworks and revenue streams to planning, budgeting, marketing and honing digital media skills across a wide variety of industry scenarios such as artist management, publishing, e-music and live event management.
The study programme consists of two courses, the well known and industry recognised SAE Music Business Diploma and the Bachelor level that provides you with additional skill sets and understanding of the creative industries, project management, intellectual property and specialised audio technique, leading to an internationally recognised BA/BSc (Hons) Music Business* degree, validated by Middlesex University, London.
The course is delivered full time where the standard duration is 96 weeks (24 months). This compact, fast-track study allows you to graduate quicker, and start your career earlier.
By studying this mode the the Audio Engineering Diploma modules are taught in parallel with the Bachelor-level lectures.
If you do not meet the entry requirements for full time studies, you can start with the Music Business Diploma.± Following successful completion of the SAE Diploma, students may be eligible to enrol in a programme validated by Middlesex University and study towards an Honours degree.
FROM 24, 30 AND 42 MONTHS, FT AND PT
SEPTEMBER 2021 & MARCH 2022
* This programme was developed and is delivered and assessed by SAE Institute, awarded by and quality assured by Middlesex University.
Basics of the music industry
- Music economy
- Basics of the publishing industry
- Basics of the recording industry
- Basics of music distribution
- Basics of live music
- History of music business
- Cash flow
- Management strategies
- Music history
- Music analysis
- Social insurance for artists workshop
- Music business growth workshop
Artist branding & content management
- Audio production
- Artist branding
- Press kit
- Photo editing
- Photography workshop
- Photo editing workshop
- Layout & design
- Music publishers
- Contract law
- Wordpress workshop
- Press kit workshop
Creative Media Production
This module aims to position the discipline specific knowledge and skills acquired during the SAE Diploma within a wider industry, business and cultural context. The structure and operations of the culture industries are examined together with the meanings produced in the interplay between culture, cultural products and the consumer. The resulting implications for the pitching of creative media ideas and the marketing of creative media products are also considered. Students take their existing skills and adapt them for a range of markets, cultures and platforms, requiring students to understand other cultures and assimilate other disciplines into their practice.
- Structure and operation of the culture industries
- Interplay between culture, cultural product and consumer:
- Pitching and marketing of creative products
- Related disciplines and their application to creative media practice:
- Legal, contractual and ethical issues of creative media practice
- Marketing and business studies
- Music production
- Basic principles of broadcasting
- The potential of computer programming for advanced audio applications.
- Practical research
- Analytical essay
Advanced Music Business
This module allows you to flourish as a flexible entrepreneur with an enterprising edge. By building on previously acquired knowledge and skills you engage in more conceptually and technical advanced approaches to practices within the music industry. Examining tensions between creative application of technology and legal, contractual and ethical requirements of professional practice. You develop the ability to adapt knowledge and skill sets to specific needs based on situation specific analysis.
- Music Industry Legislation
- Business Legislation
- Wider media and entertainment industry legislation
- Financial structure and systems
- Financial strategies and budgeting
- Psychology and communication
- Marketing and branding
- Project development and management
- Strategies for continuing professional development
- Professional development and future analysis
- Advanced music business project
- Project Analysis
This module is the culmination of the degree programme, enabling students to demonstrate the full range of their technical, creative and academic skills. The major project is self-generated and may take one of many different forms. The project is intended to demonstrate a range of advanced skills in accordance with the requirements of a substantial Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science project. Through successful completion the student will also exhibit their capacity to conduct independent research and manage a large-scale venture.
- Entry Requirements
- University entrance qualifaction (Abitur or similar)
- Alternatively: minimum age of 18 years plus intermediate educational qualification and aptitude test
- Own notebook computer for office work, theoretical tests and own notes from lectures
- Language skills: students whose first language is not English will need a qualification that demonstrates competence in English; atleast Level B2
- Fees & Funding
Payment Plans Full Time
- Upfront: 4 payments, each at the beginnig of next semester
- Standard: 24 payments, each at the beginning of month
Payment Plans Part Time
- Upfront: 5/7 payments, each at the beginnig of each semester
- Standard: 30/42 payments, each at the beginning of month
- Artist Manager
- Studio Manager
- PR Director
- Music Journalist
- Booking Agent
- Royalty Analyst
- Social Content Editor
- Digital Strategist
- Social Content Writer
- Stage Manager
- Tour Co-ordinator
- Event Co-ordinator
- Human Resource Manager
- Tour promoter
- Touring Manager
- Event Manager
- Marketing officer
- Account Manager
- Music Business Lawyer
- Cruise Director
- Music Label
- TV & Radio