Research Practice and Society Lecturer Wanted (freelance)
SAE Amsterdam is looking for a freelance lecturer of the ‘Research Practice and Society’ Module, to be delivered from September 2021, until the end of January 2022. The module is part of our validated degree stage and prepares the students for their major research project, which is the last section of their course.
The module aims to develop an advanced critical understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and their application for both artistic and scientific research. Students will advance their knowledge of planning and implementation of research-based inquiry to address specific research questions, develop an in-depth understanding of the creative media industries and the students’ role as creative media practitioners. Further to this it aims to broaden students’ perspective on cultural issues and movements by drawing attention to the development of ideas over time and the nature of cultural diversity. Students should develop an understanding of the intersections of various fields of the creative media industries, scientific and cultural history and the history of ideas in the context of creative media. This, together with a deeper understanding of, and the ongoing interplay between science, culture and creative media, is designed to promote a proactive approach to continuing professional development planning.
Next to the actual delivery of the lessons (average rate of 1 lesson per week), the successful applicant will also be having one on one sessions with the individual students, in order to guide them through their learning process. Assessment and grading will also be part of the tasks and roles. The assignments for this module will be;
- A Cultural Ideas essay.
- An Industry study.
- A major project proposal (This is the basis for the major project which the students will work on in the following term).
Teaching materials are available for review, as well as the guidance from our academic team, when required.
Who we are:
SAE Institute is the world’s largest private educator in creative media industries, consisting of a global network of campuses in numerous countries around the world. SAE offers courses including certificates, diplomas, bachelor degrees, and postgraduate programs in the fields of Animation, Audio, Business, Film, Games, Web & Mobile.
The Amsterdam campus is located at Johan van Hasseltweg 31, which is situated in the vibrant Amsterdam North. We deliver validated degree level education in both Audio and Film, as well a diploma level game art programme. Next to this, we also offer multiple short courses in the audio and film disciplines.
Make Creativity Happen is our motto!
We are looking for a candidate who is:
- Motivated and keen to work in an international school (lessons taught in English)
- In possession of a bachelors or ideally Masters qualification, preferably in the creative arts
- Experienced in giving classes to undergraduate students, preferably with a recognized teaching qualification
- Experience in teaching Audio and Film creatives as well as a background in teaching Academic research methodology
- Excellent English skills in both writing and speaking (min. Level C1)
- Delivery of the lessons (approx. 13) to the students in either an online, and/or physical setting.
- Organising, and attending, one on one sessions with the students to guide them through their learning activities.
- Assessment of the assignments linked to this module.
- Take accurate attendance during the lessons/sessions.
- Coaching students with a positive, proactive, can-do and constructive attitude.
- Work closely with the academic leadership team in order to guarantee a smooth delivery, as well as keep an accurate account of the students’ progressions throughout the module.
- Contribute to a positive learning environment
- Monthly invoicing towards SAE before the 24th of each month.
How to apply
Applications should include; a motivational letter, resume as well as a reference list to be contacted by SAE Institute if deemed necessary. An assessment can be part of the selection procedure. All communication (including application documents) should be in English.
Documentation can be sent to Federica Calarco (email@example.com). Due to the amount of responses expected, only successful candidates will be approached. This Application will be open until July 11th, 2021.