Every year thousands of students travel to the UK for our quality of education, high standard of living, competitive costs, and unbeatable social, sporting and cultural experiences.

Before you begin your UK studies, there is a lot to think about and prepare. Rest assured, our friendly International Office team are always on hand to offer support. This section is also designed to give you information about things you may need to know about. 

In preparation for your stay, we recommend you read the UK Council for International Student Affairs and the British Council page, which gives comprehensive information on:

  • Preparation and arrival
  • Cost of living
  • Traditions and culture
  • Accommodation
  • Opening a bank account
  • Health and healthcare
  • Travel and transport
  • Working while you are studying*
  • Internet, phone and post

*International students studying at SAE on a Tier 4 visa are not permitted working rights in the UK

Immigration healthcare surcharge

It is worth noting that if coming to the UK to study you may need to pay a healthcare surcharge, often referred to as the immigration healthcare surcharge or IHS. 

This can be paid online and will allow you to access the National Health Service during your studies. 
NB. You will still need to pay some fees (prescriptions, dental fees and eye tests).

Costs for this service vary depending on how much leave you are granted. However, you can use this tool to determine how much you will need to pay.

Registering with the police

Some nationalities are required to register with the police as part of their Tier 4 visa requirments. 

Registeration costs £34 and can be paid at the police station. Failure to do this, may result in the UK Visas and Immigration office withdrawing your permission to stay. 

For more information and to check whether you are obliged to register with the Police once in the UK please visit here.