1. Please tell us about your new portable recording business and how you came about starting it
I started this business because of my passion for recording artists and bands. After searching for post-graduate jobs within the industry I decided to take the initiative to start my own business. It allows me to put into practice the skills I have learnt over the years in a professional setting. A portable recording service allows me to deliver high quality recordings to bands and artists without the overheads and start up costs of a permanently based recording studio. The equipment that I bought with the start up loan was chosen with portability in mind as well as the versatility to use it in a proper studio environment should I decide to open a more permanent studio in the future.
2. How did your Audio degree at SAE prepare you for setting up your own business?
SAE gave me the knowledge necessary for all aspects of my business. First of all the business plan lectures and assignments gave me an insight into the planning and preparation needed as well as informing me about the start up costs and overheads that go into setting up a business. The location recording and production lectures taught me the essential equipment needed for a great sounding portable recording rig as well as the microphone placement techniques necessary for getting the highest quality recording from a band/artist’s performance.
3. Do you record any original music yourself, please tell us about other projects you work on?
I play guitar in a rock band called ‘Raised By Wolves'. We recently recorded a 5 track EP that I engineered and mixed which should be out soon. We recorded all of the tracks in our band’s practice room over the course of a weekend.
4. What did you enjoy the most about your degree at SAE?
5. What are your plans for the future, where do you see the business in 5 years?
In the next 5 years I hope to have my business established and wish to see it expanded into a permanently based studio.
6. What advice would you give to young students wanting to pursue a career in the music industry?
With the current state of the music industry the best advice is to make as many contacts as possible in as many different fields of work as you can and make yourself available for freelance work.
Register for the next SAE Liverpool Open Day.